O Mistress Mine
by William Shakespeare
1. Identify the poem's speaker.
2. What is the speaker's notion of love?
3. Judging from what the speaker says, what seems to be the listener's attitude?
4. Explain how the speakers in Robert Burns' poem and Shakespeare's poem differ in their views of love.
5. Do you agree with the speaker in "O Mistress Mine" that love is best when you are young? Or do you think, like the speaker in "John Anderson My Jo," that love can endure and grow more meaningful as you get older? Explain why you believe as you do.